American Literature connects excellent literature to important historical events, expanding your students’ understanding of literature and history.
Not only will American Literature help your student better understand American History, reading the excellent writing of the included authors will help your high schooler develop solid writing skills!
Using “living” books instead of textbooks, your student will examine works of remarkable American authors and poets such as Booker T. Washington (pictured on our cover), Ernest Hemingway, Harper Lee, Anne Bradstreet, Arthur Miller and James Fenimore Cooper.
In this full-year high school level course your high school student will study a play, several novels, a novella and poetry. (An optional honors track requires additional reading.)
American Literature incorporates the essay writing skills taught in our Essay Styles for High School course and we recommend that course as a prerequisite to all of our literature and history courses. (Your student may also take Essay Styles at the same time as any of our literature or history courses.)
American Literature: a Study of American Writers includes:
- short book summaries, clear objectives and step-by-step instructions written to your student makes this an easy course to teach
- a variety of assignment choices using different learning styles provides an engaging, customized learning experience for your high school student
- an optional honors track with specific directions for honors assignments ( sometimes requiring extra reading)
- detailed evaluation directions, rubrics and grading tips to make it easy on YOU, the teacher
- graphic organizers/notebooking pages for literary components, including plot-mapping and characterization, making this course especially helpful for visual or structural students
- vocabulary lists and activity ideas to build your college-bound student’s vocabulary (think SAT and ACT readiness!)
- a glossary of literary terms to help both you and your student
- a continually deeper understanding of literary devices and analysis, preparing your student for college-level work
- an explanation of literary devices at the high school level including basic literary analysis, to help ready your student for college-level literature study
American Literature: a Study of American Writers is 85 pages, printed black and white and coil bound.