American Literature connects excellent literature to important historical events, expanding your students’ understanding of literature and history.
Not only will American Literature help your student better understand American writers and their works. Reading the suggested books and completing the assignments will help your high schooler also better understand American History.
Using whole books instead of textbooks, your student will study works of remarkable American authors and poets such as Booker T. Washington (pictured on our cover), Ernest Hemingway, Harper Lee, Anne Bradstreet, Arthur Miller and James Fenimore Cooper.
In this full-year high school level course your high school student will study a play, several novels, a novella and poetry. (An optional honors track requires additional reading.)
American Literature incorporates the essay writing skills taught in our Essay Styles for High School course. In fact, we recommend Essay Styles as a prerequisite to all of our literature and history courses. (Your student may also take Essay Styles at the same time as any of our literature or history courses.)
American Literature: a Study of American Writers includes:
- short book summaries, clear objectives and step-by-step instructions written to your student (All making this an easy course for you to teach.)
- a variety of assignment choices using different learning styles lets you provide an engaging, customized learning experience for your high school student
- an optional honors track with specific directions for honors assignments ( sometimes requiring extra reading) gives you flexibility
- detailed evaluation directions, rubrics and grading tips make it easier for you to evaluate your student’s writing
- graphic organizers, including plot-mapping and characterization tools (making this course especially helpful for visual or structural students
- vocabulary lists and activity ideas to build your college-bound student’s vocabulary (think SAT and ACT readiness!)
- a glossary of literary terms to help both you and your student
- a continually deeper understanding of literary devices and analysis, preparing your student for college-level work
- an explanation of literary devices at the high school level including basic literary analysis, to help ready your student for ongoing high school and later, college-level literature study
American Literature: a Study of American Writers is 85 pages, printed black and white and coil bound.