Our unstructured Preparatory Unit Program will take your student from Sixth through Eighth Grades in history, language arts, science and fine arts.
Using our pre-read and carefully selected book suggestions, assignment ideas and resources lists, you can give your student(s) a Charlotte Mason-type education that will be engaging and effective! Our preparatory unit program also includes map activities, ideas for mini-books and lapbooks as well as topics for writing assignments and further research.
- Your 6th – 8th grade student(s) will read language rich, concept-oriented, in depth chapter books from our recommendations, including both fiction and non-fiction.
- Your student will see a more detailed presentation of historical periods, people and events through the books suggested in this program when compared with the Intermediate Unit Program.
- You’ll be able to choose books that fit your student’s learning style as we identify materials that are available in auditory or more visual formats.
- Your homeschooled student will read science books focusing on specific concepts and study the scientific method through experiments and activities.
- Your student will have the opportunity for more challenging hands on projects, including greater focus on geography and organizational skills.
See Sample Unit Here. (Note that although the sample unit is shown in color, it is actually printed in black and white.)
I understand how I could teach history and science with books, but what about Language Arts?
Our Teacher’s Manual included in the Preparatory Unit Program will teach you how to teach and evaluate language arts. We’ll show you how to teach oral and written narrations and use them for evaluation, and provide many more advanced writing assignment ideas. You’ll learn how to use students’ compositions to teach grammar and spelling. We’ll give you ideas of how to teach vocabulary found in your students reading. (Remember the SAT and ACT will be coming before you know it!) This manual also contains a crucial section on teaching and evaluating middle school and high school writing, something our parents tell us they love!
If you have another grammar or spelling program that you are already using, no problem! You can use our Preparatory Unit Program for language arts OR use it with another program you are already using.
What’s in the Box?
Preparatory Unit Program (Complete Unit Program)
Our Preparatory Unit Program includes a white, one inch view binder including nine historical units and one resource unit covering from Ancients through Modern. It also includes a separate 100+ page, spiral bound Teacher’s Manual covering Sixth through Twelfth Grades, a Tools CD or download of customizable forms, graphic organizers and other resources, and nine cut-apart history bookmarks corresponding to our nine historical units. Note that although the sample unit is shown in color, the program is actually printed in black and white.
Preparatory Unit Program – Notebook only
In the Unit Program Notebook you will get nine historical units and one resource unit covering from Ancients through Modern.
Train up a Child Publishing offers literature-based homeschool curriculum from Kindergarten through High School, all written from a Christian worldview. From our unstructured, Charlotte Mason-style Unit Programs, to our structured Daily Lesson Plans and our popular High School Courses, we have you covered!