British Literature connects excellent literature to significant historical events, expanding your students’ understanding of literature and history.
In addition to a better understanding of history, reading excellent writing will help your high schooler develop solid writing skills!
Using “living” books instead of textbooks, your student will study written works of powerful British authors and poets such as William Shakespeare (pictured on our cover), Geoffrey Chaucer, Charlotte Bronte, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen, and C.S. Lewis.
This full-year, high school level course will have your homeschooled high school student studying two plays, multiple selections of poetry and one selection of epic poetry, several short stories and four novels. (An optional honors track often includes extra reading.)
British Literature incorporates the essay writing skills taught in our Essay Styles for High School course and we recommend that course as a prerequisite to all of our literature and history courses. (Essay Styles may also be taken concurrently with any of our literature or history courses.)
British Literature; a Study of British Writers includes:
- short book summaries, clear objectives and step-by-step instructions written to your student all make this an easy course to teach
- a variety of assignment choices using different learning styles provides an engaging, customized learning experience for your high school student
- an optional honors track with specific directions for honors assignments ( sometimes requiring extra reading)
- detailed evaluation directions, rubrics and grading tips to make it easy on YOU, the teacher
- graphic organizers/notebooking pages for literary components, including plot-mapping and characterization, making this course especially helpful for visual or structural students
- vocabulary lists and activity ideas to build your college-bound student’s vocabulary (think SAT and ACT readiness!)
- a glossary of literary terms to help both you and your student
- a deeper understanding of literary devices and analysis
British Literature: a Study in British Writers is 104 pages, printed black and white and coil bound.